Monday, September 8, 2008

The phone call that changes your life!

Friday, September 5, 2008 started out like a typical day. I was getting ready to host a party at my house: cleaning, planning food. I went to Costco, then to Kroger. As I was leaving the Kroger parking lot, around 1:55pm, my cell phone rang. I didn't recognize the number but decided to answer it anyway. It was Joseph from LDS Family Services. He told me our homestudy was almost done, which was exciting then he said he was calling for another reason too. I thought he wanted our $1,000 homestudy fee which we hadn't paid yet, but he said that he had a baby he'd like us to consider. I was NOT expecting that at all! The baby is a little African-American girl. He knew we had said that we wanted another boy, but on our preference sheet it did say either so he decided to call anyway. I wanted to shout yes right away but I knew that I had to talk to Jon about it first. After I hung up the phone I fought back tears as I asked Nathan if he wanted a sister. He quickly said "dissder" of course not knowing what he was agreeing too. Even though I knew Jon had a class at that moment I just could not wait to call him. He also wanted to say yes immediately but we decided to take some time and he would call me back after school.

After we spoke again I tried to call Joseph back but I kept getting voicemail, ahh the dreaded voicemail. Finally I called the office and they said he was at the hospital meeting with the birth mom. After what seemed like days Joseph called with all kinds of information, but his cell phone battery died! When he did call back we were able to hear all about our sweet little baby girl. We were told that she would most likely be released on Monday. What a long and agonizing weekend for an anxious mom, dad, and big brother! Of course there also weren't enough hours over the weekend for us to do everything that needed to be done (hence I am typing this at 1:51am while Jon is painting the baby's room). We should have our sweet little Emily in less than 11 hours!

No comments: